Friday, August 13, 2010

Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes



We went to hear and see the artist and mathematician, Daina Taimina at a Talk & Book Signing. She delivered a fascinating presentation at the Lion Brand Yarn Studio on West 15th Street NYC.






We were invited to "Enter the amazing world of Hyperbolic Crochet. Come be inspired with the sculptural beauty of what a little yarn & a little math can create."


Daina Taimina: “I thought if something can be made out of paper, it can also be crocheted, so I made my first crocheted hyperbolic planes in June 1997 by increasing stitches in constant ratio – after every two stitches I did an increase by one stitch. The number of stitches in each row grew exponentially, so after finishing my first small, very ruffled one I realized that to explore the hyperbolic plane I have to change the ratio of increase.”

The Land and the Sea

Her work is quite beautiful. In addition to illustrating the mathematical concept, these hyperbolic creations are just a pleasure to regard. I love the colors of this one, and the way she placed it in a nature setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment